General Dentist vs Specialized Dentist Or Is MDS a carrier booster?
BDS – Bachelor of Dental Surgery is an undergraduate Dental course. Dentistry is the branch of medicine dealing with the anatomy and development and diseases of the teeth, gum, jaw, and surrounding structures. The duration of the BDS course is 5 years of study with the internship. BDS is the most admired medical course after MBBS. Candidates who successfully complete this 5-year course are also awarded the title of ‘Doctor’ and can perform private clinical as well academic practice once they have acquired the license. BDS dentist calls a general dentist who can perform initial diagnosis, prevention of diseases, simple surgeries like tooth extraction, simple root canals, removal of dental decay, periodontal maintenance, denture fabrication, scaling and polishing, etc. only complexed procedure like dis impaction, blocked canals, tumor removal, flap surgeries, implant placements, etc.
MDS – Master of Dental Surgery is a postgraduate Dental course. The duration of a Master of Dental Surgery is generally three years. Students get in-depth knowledge as well as hands-on experience in solving real-life medical problems associated with oral and dental ailments through various specializations.
Specialization in dentistry offers a wide variety of courses branching into clinical and non-clinical courses the details of which are enlisted as below: –
⇒ Wide range of Clinical branches to do specialization in dentistry;
- Prosthodontics and Crown & Bridge- It is the branch of dentistry that focuses on the replacement of anything missing intra-orally. Restoration and maintenance of oral function and appearance by the replacement of missing or lost natural teeth and associated tissues either by fixed or removable artificial substitutes. Branch also call ‘architect of smile’.
- Periodontology- It is the branch of dentistry that focuses on supporting structures of teeth. Examples of supporting tissues of teeth include – gingiva, alveolar bone, cementum, and periodontal ligament. Branch also call the preventive branch.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery- It is the specialty of dentistry which includes surgical interpretation of jaws, teeth, and associated oral and facial structures. It’s also called the surgical branch too. As it included extraction of teeth, implant placement, alveolar bone correction, infection management, etc
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics- It is the branch of dentistry that focuses on pain management as well prevention and treatment of dental caries, crooked, dis-colored, non-esthetic, or fractured teeth manage, pulpal and periapical infection management. It’s also called the pain management branch.
- Orthodontics- It is the branch of dentistry that focuses on the alignment of the teeth and the dental arches: the maxilla and the mandible and the harmonize its function.
- Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry- It is extensively concerned with the identification, prevention, and cure of children’s teeth from an early age only which includes instruction in oral hygiene, use of fluoride, and diet habit. Pedodontics is also good at identifying child psychology and behavior management to obtain the best oral hygiene habits early stage of life.
⇒ Non- clinical branches;
Oral Pathology and Microbiology- It is a branch of dentistry that focuses on the pathology of oral diseases and ailments. It relates the clinical manifestation of oral diseases to the physiologic and anatomic changes associated with these diseases. It’s also called a dental pathologist.
Public Health Dentistry- it is a branch of dentistry that focuses on the prevention and cure of oral problems for the entire community rather than individuals. It takes a holistic approach to assist dental health needs and come up with the best effective solutions to enhance dental health.
Oral Medicine and Radiology- It is a specialized branch in dentistry that focuses on diagnostic techniques which include radiographic and pathologic techniques to investigate diseases at an early stage and treatments of dental and oral health problems.
Let’s discuss the advantages and disadvantages of doing MDS after BDS.
- Feeling of accomplishment
- Preference in the job whether it is a government job or private colleges or hospitals.
- As the world is educating itself, demanding for the specialized dentist.
- Extra advantage of working in partnership as a consultant dentist.
- If you want to study abroad to pursue a higher degree or research work, MDS is like icing on the cake
- At the last MDS can add wings to your career.
- High – wages when compare to BDS.
- Ample opportunities as MDS
- MDS doctor earn a lot of respect and prestige
- After 5 years of tiring study, you will have to bear another 3 years.
- Initially private sector badly paid which Is still higher than BDS
- Almost the same struggle if you a new open a clinic.
- In India, there is very little thing called specialty, especially in rural areas.
- Admission through NEET, which is tough to crack.
- Admission taking process is a cut-throat competition.
Superior to all, MDS dentist gain more Reputation & Recognition by society, and when it comes to opportunities and job security, MDS dentist has more employment possibility and security as compare to BDS. MDS dentist can get into Research and Forensic Departments, Administrative Department of the Dental Colleges, head level of dental associations, and a lot more. And not to forget the fact that MDS dentist is always been a money-spinning branch if you catch good knowledge and skill during your educational years. Rest all depends on the service you provide to the patients. Whether BDS dentist or OR MDS dentist, Patients inflow will surly increase if u have a good working hand.