Master of Dental Surgery [MDS] is post graduate dentistry course. The duration of this course is three years. MDS provides training in different disciplines in dentistry. There are nine specialisations available for MDS course. Specialisations are below mentioned.
A) MDS – CLINICAL BRANCHES
1. Prosthodontics :
2. Conservative dentistry or Endodontics :
3. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery:
- Prosthodontics, bridge and crown: It is one of the most versatile branche which is focused on the reconstruction of any damaged intraoral structure. Sometimes prosthodontics is also known as “oral architecture of smile or Geriatric dentist”. A prosthodontist is someone who restores the aesthetic, function, comfort, and overall health of a patient’s oral cavity. Prosthodontists are well trained to replace missing teeth, by complete or partial dentures / bridges / crowns / veneers and are also trained to perform complex surgeries like single to full mouth implant placement with crowns. To perform these procedures effectively, prosthodontists gain detailed knowledge of mouth sculpting by which dentists ensure every minor detail regarding the structure of the bone, ligaments, blood vessels, etc. to make precise smile makeover.
- Operative Dentistry and Endodontic: It’s a branch of dentistry that aims to “Increasing the life span of teeth”. Endodontic is more into the management of sequel of dental caries, discolored or fractured teeth, aesthetic treatment call desensitization, and bleaching, pulpal and periapical diseases including other defects of natural teeth; techniques and procedures to restore the teeth to full function and appearance. BDS Dentists, too, can perform root canals, but an Endodontist has a lot more experience and skill. The curriculum also includes endodontic microsurgery, regenerative endodontics, and management of traumatic injuries.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: It’s a branch called surgical dentistry. Aims to treat many diseases, injuries, and defects in the head, neck, face, jaws, and the hard and soft tissues of the oral (mouth) and maxillofacial (jaws and face) region. Apart from routine tooth extractions and dis-impactions which can be done by BDS dentist, the department of Oral Surgeon performs surgical procedures for various pathologies of the oral cavity, head and neck cancers, salivary tumors, cysts, T.M. joint disorders, orthognathic corrections, bone grafting, distraction, and cleft lip and cleft palate corrections surgeries.
- Orthodontics and dent facial orthopaedics: This branch focus on the alignment of maloccluded teeth, dental arches: the maxilla and the mandible, and adjacent structures using various removable and fixed dental appliances. The practice of this specialty includes diagnosis, prevention, interception, and correction of malocclusion and other abnormalities of the developing or mature orofacial structures. Orthodontics is an exclusive branch of dentistry. Most of the time BDS unable to learn while pursuing the course of BDS.
- Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry: This branch of dentistry focus on children from birth through adolescence. The aim is to manage dental caries, gingivitis and periodontal diseases, problematic habit breaker, and developing malocclusions. BDS dentist can do Restorations of decayed primary and permanent teeth in children using various restorative material but for Traumatic Injuries, management of Oral Habits, developmental disorders, Chronology of dental development, Dimensional changes in dental arches, Child Psychology, and Behaviour Management in operatory area ask for specialization.
- Periodontology or periodontics -As the name suggests this branch of dentistry including supporting structures of teeth – gums, periodontal ligaments, cementum, and alveolar bone and provides prevention and cure of the damage already caused by infection.
With knowledge of specialization, periodontics is more likely to perform more than Scaling and root planning. Cosmetic gum surgeries, Alveolar bone surgeries, Curettage, implant placement, splinting and abscess drainage, flap surgery, micro-gingival surgery, and laser-assisted surgery are conducted on a regular basis. Advance aesthetic and regenerative procedures are the main attraction of this branch of dentistry.
So, you have diversified ways after graduation in dentistry. Choosing a career is one of the most important decisions you will make for your life, main key to get success in your life is right decision at right time. Weather you choose Clinical or Non-clinical branch, clinical practice or academic practice, the choice is completely yours, after all is about your future.
B) MDS – NON CLINICAL BRANCH
1. Community Dentistry
2. Oral Medicine and radiology
3. Oral Pathology & Microbiology
- Community Dentistry: It’s a non-clinical branch of dentistry which focuses on the prevention of oral disease and promotes awareness towards oral health. When compared to a Clinician dentist who deals with a single patient at a time based on one’s dental need, public health dentists focus on entire community or population. The primary function of dental public health specialist dentist includes the Oral Health Assessment through clinical surveys, screening surveys, non-clinical data and health department data, such as water fluoridation reports, etc. and Oral Health Assurance by keeping eye on the quality and accessibility of oral health services through community oral health education that informs, educates and empowers community about dental health issues. Also support prevention programs and conduct ample amount of research to solve oral health problems. The aim of a community dentist is to prevent and promote the importance of oral health to for overall health and well-being.
- Oral Medicine and Radiology: This is a specialized branch which deals with the diagnosis of oral and maxillofacial diseases, the oral manifestation of systemic diseases, and surrounding structures through patient medical as well as family history, clinical examination, radiological and pathological investigation, and medical management of lesions related to the oral cavity. Oral medicine primarily deals with non-surgical treatment of oral diseases, disorders, and conditions. As defined by the American Dental Association, “Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology is the specialty of dentistry and discipline of radiology concerned with production and interpretation of images and data produced by all modalities of radiant energy that are used for the diagnosis and management of diseases, disorders, and conditions of the oral and maxillofacial region.”
- Oral Pathology and microbiology: It is the specialty of dentistry that is also known as an oral pathologist. According to the American Dental Association: “Oral pathology is the specialty of dentistry and discipline of pathology that deals with the nature, identification, and management of diseases affecting the oral and maxillofacial regions.” In other words, pathologists perform routine histopathological evaluations of specimens and also carry out routine diagnostic procedures including cytological, microbiological, other investigations, and research projects. The oral pathologist relates the clinical manifestation to physiologic and anatomic changes associated with oral diseases. It does not only deal with pre-malignancy and malignancy diseases but any pain in your mouth can be a reason of one or the other fungus, bacteria, or viruses. Early detection of any oral diseases is the aim of this branch.
MDS ADMISSION THROUGH MANAGEMENT QUOTA
Now a day’s getting MDS admission in Bangalore is very difficult at your budget, few clinical subjects are highly demanded especially in Top 10 colleges in Bangalore. Don’t worry!! We can help you to get MDS seat in Best dental colleges in Karnataka. We do early seat reservation in almost all the best dental colleges in Karnataka. Through us MDS management seat cost will be affordable
So if you are planning to Study MDS in Karnataka based Colleges but worried about Admission Procedures or Not Getting MDS admission in best colleges in Karnataka? Then feel free to CONTACT US ANYTIME.
We Are Here To Help You To Get Admission In Top MDS Colleges Throughout Karnataka!
Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) Eligibility Criteria
A candidate for admission to the Master in Dental Surgery course, must possess a recognised degree of Bachelor in Dental Surgery awarded by a university or institute in India and registered with the State Dental Council and has obtained provisional or permanent registration and has undergone compulsory rotatory internship of a year in an approved/recognised dental college.
Provided that in the case of a foreign national, the following procedure shall be followed:-
The Council may, on payment of the prescribed fee for registration, grant temporary registration for the duration of the post-graduate training restricted to the dental college/institution to which he or she is admitted for the time being exclusively for post-graduate studies:
Provided further that temporary registration to such foreign national shall be subject to the condition that such person is duly registered as medical practitioner in his/her own country from which he/she has obtained his/her basics dental qualification and that his/her degree is recognized by the corresponding state dental council or concerned authority.
Why high demand for MDS Admission in Bangalore?
Bangalore is one of the best destinations for private dental colleges in India. The major reasons why you must join MDS in Bangalore are given below.
- Colleges: There are many good private dental colleges available. College building and infrastructures are very good. Neat and clean campus Faculties are experienced and well educated.
- Affordable Fee: Colleges charging reasonable tuitions fees compare to other cities college.
- Patient Flow: Most of the dental colleges in Bangalore have excellent patient flow.
- Climate: Bangalore is one of the cities has the best climate in India.
- Connectivity: Bangalore is well connected with Road, Rail, and Air to all the major cities in India.
- Placements: There are lot of dental hospital available inside city and outside city as well. So before finishing course itself students are getting job with attractive salary.
FAQs about Master of Dental Surgery
What is the average fee for Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) ?
The average fee for Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) is INR 8,00,000 to 15,00,000 per year through Management/NRI quota. Depends upon branch and college fees will be vary.
What are the good colleges offering MDS courses in karnataka ?
Following are some of the top colleges offering Dental courses : JSS Dental College & Hospital, Mysore. Manipal College of Dental Sciences (Mangalore), M.S. Ramaiah Dental College, Bangalore. S.D.M. College of Dental Sciences & Hospital (Dharwad). Coorg Institute of Dental Sciences, (Virajpet). KLE Vishwanath Katti Institute of Dental Sciences, Belgaum. Vydehi Institute of Dental Sciences & Research, Bangalore. Yenepoya Dental College & Hospital, Mangalore. R.V. Dental College, Bangalore. Etc.`
Is Neet required for MDS? Do I have to clear/Eligible Neet exams for that?
Yes NEET exam eligibility is must for each and every candidate.
What are the clinical subject specializations for Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) ?
Orthopaedics, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Conservative Dentistry, Pedodontics, Prosthodontics.
What are the Non-clinical subject specializations for Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) ?
Pathology, Community dentistry, Oral medicine
What is the duration of the course Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) ?
Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) is a 3 year post graduate course.
How many MDS seats are there in karnataka?
Approximately, there are around 1200 MDS Dental seats in karnataka. Most of the MDS Dental seats are available in Private & Deemed Dental Colleges.
Do we get stipend in MDS?
On an average, the Govt. MDS colleges offer stipend of Rs. 40k in the first year, which increase by around 3k in 2nd year and 3rd year.
Few of the private colleges are not giving any amount as stipend but few of them are giving 3000 to 50000 rs
We Are Here To Help You To Get Admission In Top MDS Colleges Throughout Karnataka!